Support during your University of Bradford studies
The Language Centre offers a range of free classes, workshops, one-to-one tutorials and online support to help you get the most from your studies at the University of Bradford.
Weekly classes let you develop your academic English throughout the whole semester.
Classes are offered Monday to Friday during the lunchtime slot (12:00-13:00 or 13:00-14:00) and are repeated in the evening (16:00-17:00 or 17:00-18:00).
There is no need to register - just turn up.
Two-hour workshops are available on Wednesdays and three-hour workshops are available on some Saturday mornings.
They let you focus on a particular skill - a great way to practise and improve.
All students: You can book a 30-minute appointment with a teacher to work on any aspect of academic English language. Bring your work and questions with you.
You can also book small group 30 or 60-minute appointments to work on any academic skills with your friends or classmates.
- Where: The Language Centre
- When: Wednesdays 13:00-16:00 during term time
- Book your place on the workshops website
- Lots more appointments are available during the last three weeks of each semester:
- Monday and Friday 12:00-13:00 and 16:00-17:00
- Tuesday and Thursday 12:00-13:00 and 17:00-18:00
- Wednesday 12:00-18:00
Virtual Learning Environment
Need to improve your writing? Want to work on your presentation skills?
The Language Centre's independent study materials stored on our Virtual Learning Environment, Canvas, cover a range of topics related to your academic study. You can work through them at your own pace from anywhere with internet access.
How to access the study materials
- Visit the Enrol in Language Centre support classes page
- Select Enrol
- You will then receive a confirmation email
- Go to your Dashboard in the Canvas VLE
- Select Language Centre support classes
- Select Learning materials
- Explore the materials until you find the ones you want
- Select the relevant links and choose Next to access the resources
English for Academic Studies online course
Are you confused about what Academic English means? Do you feel worried about speaking in seminars, taking notes in lectures or completing written assignments?
The Language Centre is offering a free three-hour online introductory course Preparing for Study: Academic Culture, Language and Assessment.
Although aimed at international students and language-focused, it could be really useful for anyone studying at university.
The course is flexible and you, the student, decide what to study and which tasks to complete:
- Understanding academic integrity including citation and plagiarism (Listening skills)
- Academic and technical vocabulary in your discipline (Speaking skills)
- Researching for your subject (Reading skills)
- Different types of assessments and marking criteria (Writing skills)
- End of course quiz & Discussion Board/ Personal journal (Optional)
How to access the course
- Enrol on to the Language Centre support classes
- Select Learning materials
- Navigate to EAS Preparing for Study: Academic Language, Culture and Assessment
You will see the course 24 hours after enrolling.
For more details please contact Angela Smith: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support for students with disabilities
The University of Bradford welcomes disabled students and we do everything we can to try to make sure that our courses and our campus are accessible.
Here at the Language Centre we are able to offer study materials in a variety of formats (audio, video and print) to meet accessibility requirements so please let us know what would be helpful for you.
For further details of support the university is able to offer, please visit the Disability website.
Support for distance learning students
If you are studying off-campus there are lots of resources available for you to help with your English language skills, as well as your academic studies.