|Department||School of Nursing and Healthcare Leadership|
Research Interests (key words only)
Meeting the needs of people with a learning disability, Practice Education.
Teaching and Supervisory Responsibilities
- Learning disability across the pre-registration programme
- Student and Patient Safety pre-registration, Return to Practice and CPD
- Reflective Practice
- Communication Skills
- Research for Advancing Professional Practice
- Personal Academic Supervision
- Learning Disability Lead
- Student and Patient Safety Lead
- Module Leader – Developing Nursing Practice
- Link Lecturer
- Lead role in developing new preregistration curriculum for nursing with specific responsibility for learning disability content and reflection
I have been a nurse for people with learning disabilities since gaining my nurse registration in 1989. Throughout my career I have worked to enhance the health and wellbeing of this client group. I worked as a nurse and manager in both residential and community settings in the Bradford area before I became a lecturer in 2001.
I remain passionate about supporting people with learning disabilities to overcome the barriers to appropriate health care and integration in society.
2016 - MSc Health and Social Care Management – University of Bradford
2004 - Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Practice – University of Bradford
2000 - Post Graduate Diploma in Health and Social Service Management – University of Bradford
1998 - Certificate in Management – Bradford Collage
1995 - BA (Hons) Social Studies – University of Bradford
Registered and Recordable Qualifications:
Fellow of The Higher Education Academy
2010 - Recordable Teaching Qualification NMC
1994 - Understanding and Application of Research (ENB 870)
1990 - Teaching and Assessing in Clinical Practice (ENB 998)
1989 - Registered Nurse for the Mentally Handicapped
2001 - 2004 Practitioner (Community Nurse)/Lecturer, University of Bradford.
2001 - 2001 Manager.
2000 - 2001 Clinical Supervision Project Manager, Harrogate Health Care
2000 - 2001 Project Nurse – In-patient Service.
1996 - 2000 Manager - Nursing Home.
1990 - 1996 Assistant Manager - Nursing home.
1989 - 1990 Staff Nurse- Challenging Behaviour Unit.
1986 - 1989 Student Nurse, Nurse Training School, Westwood Hospital.
- Member of the Learning and Intellectual Disability National Academic Network (LIDNAN)
- Member of Closing the Gap. Established to help ensure that people with learning disabilities receive the treatment they deserve in mainstream hospital services
- Member of Yorkshire Universities Learning Disability Nursing Research and Development Forum