|Department||School of Allied Health Professions and Midwifery|
|Feedback Hours||Monday – Friday 08:30-5:00|
|Visit my LinkedIn profile|
Research Interests (key words only)
Radiographer role development, Radiographer image interpretation.
Teaching and Supervisory Responsibilities
- Undergraduate teaching involves anatomy, radiographic technique and image interpretation
- Post graduate teaching for Medical Image Interpretation
- Module leader for two undergraduate modules
- Pathway lead for post graduate Medical Image Reporting
I qualified as a diagnostic radiographer in 1990 and worked in clinical practice before joining the University in 2001.
As a clinical radiographer in 1992 I was involved in the Department of Health funded pilot project for training radiographers in image interpretation and began providing independent reports for Accident and Emergency Department, Musculoskeletal examinations in January 1995. During the same time period I undertook the Leeds Barium Enema Course for Radiographers (1994) and trained to perform double contrast barium enemas and became the course co-ordinator and research radiographer in 1996.
I joined the University of Bradford in December 2001 where, as pathway lead, I developed the post graduate Radiographer Reporting programme to include chest and abdomen and also developed a Gastrointestinal reporting pathway.
Between 2005 and 2013 I was seconded as an Advanced Practitioner Radiographer to a local NHS hospital to help provide the Barium enema service and provide a radiographer reporting service for this examination, double reporting cases with Advanced Practitioner Radiographer colleagues.
- 1990 Diploma of the College of Radiographers (DCRR)
- 1994 Leeds Barium Enema Course
- 1996 Post Graduate Certificate in Management Studies, Leeds Metropolitan University
- 1997 MSc Professional Studies – Radiography, Leeds Metropolitan University
- 2005 Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Practice, University of Bradford
Radiographer role development with specific interest in image interpretation.
Current Chair of Gastrointestinal Radiographers Special Interest Group (GIRSIG).
- Culpan G (2011)Hand, Fingers and Thumb. Chapter 8 in Hardy ML and Snaith B Eds Musculoskeletal Trauma.Churchill Livingstone.
- Culpan G (2009) Introduction to the reporting of gastrointestinal (GI) radiological procedures. Chapter 5 in Nightingale JM and Law RL Eds Gastrointestinal Tract Imaging: An Evidence-based Practice Guide. Churchill Livingstone.
- Chaplin E, Culpan G (2008) Fluoroscopy, contrast agents and image-guided intervention. Chapter 2 in Dixon AM Ed Fundamentals of Diagnostic Imaging: An Introduction for Nurses and Allied Health Care Professionals Reflect Press Ltd.
- Dixon AM, Culpan G (2008) Requesting and reporting imaging investigations. Chapter 8 in Dixon AM Ed Fundamentals of Diagnostic Imaging: An Introduction for Nurses and Allied Health Care Professionals Reflect Press Ltd.
- Culpan G (2006) Medico-legal aspects of radiographer reporting. Chapter 1 in Sakthivel-Wainford K. Self Assessment in Limb X-ray Interpretation. pp3-9. M&K Publishing Ltd.
Journals and other publications:
- Culpan G (2014) e-LfH module Barium Enema. Health Education England / Society and College of Radiographers.
- Culpan G (2009) Practical Reporting: Reporting double contrast barium enemas in suspected colorectal cancer. Synergy April 2009.
- Culpan G (2009) Reporting on … Diverticular disease as shown by DCBE. Synergy March 2009.
- Culpan G (2009) Introduction to reporting double contrast barium enemas (DCBE). Synergy February 2009.
- Hardy M, Culpan G. (2007) Accident and Emergency Radiography: A comparison of radiographer commenting and red dotting. Radiography (2007) 13, 65-71 [requested translation in Norway : Hardy M, Culpan G. (2007) Ulykke- øg oyeblikkelig hjelp radiografi: En sammenligning av radiograf ferdigheter I kommentering og Red Dotting. Hold Pusten nr. 8 – 2007 pp14-18.]
- Beck J, Culpan G (2006) On-table lateral knee projection – exploding the myths. Synergy July 2006: 20-24. [requested translation in Canada: Beck J, Culpan G (2006) Incidence de profil du genou sur table – défaire les mythes. echoX December 2006: 6-11.]
- Culpan G (2006) Development of radiographer reporting into the 21st century. Imaging and Oncology. 2006; 38-45
- Chapman AH, Culpan DG, Mitchell AJ. (2004) Barium Enema: Advanced Practice. Interactive CD-ROM Leeds Barium Enema Course.
- Lowe AS, Chapman AH, Wilson D, Culpan G (2003) A double-blind randomised, placebo-controlled trial evaluating the influence of oral long-acting muscle relaxant (Mebeverine MR), and insufflation with CO(2) on pain associated with barium enema. European Radiology. 2003 Jul; 13(7): 1664-8
- Culpan DG & Chapman AH. (2002) Complications of Radiographer performed Double Contrast Barium Enema Examinations. Radiography 2002 8: 91-95.
- Culpan DG & Bloor C (2001) Kodak - Synergy prize winning article: Back to Basics – the Acute Abdomen. Synergy February 2001; 4-9.
- Blakeborough A, Chapman AH, Swift S, Wilson D, Culpan G, Sheridan MB. (2001) Strictures of the Sigmoid Colon: Barium Enema Evaluation.Radiology 2001. 220:343–348.
- Robinson PJA, Culpan G & Wiggins M. (1999) “Interpretation of selected accident and emergency radiographic examinations by radiographers: a review of 11 000 cases.” British Journal of Radiology 1999 72: 546-551.
- Culpan DG, Mitchell AJ, Hughes S, Nutman M, Chapman AH. (2002) Double Contrast Barium Enema Sensitivity: A Comparison of Radiographer and Radiologist Performed Studies.” Clinical Radiology(2002) 57: 604-607.
- Culpan G (2008) You only see what you know – image perception explored. GIRSIG 2008 Conference, Bristol.
- Culpan G (2006) Barium Enema Interpretation – Challenging cases: how not to sit on the fence. GIRSIG 2006 Conference, Lytham-St-Annes, Lancashire.
- Hardy ML, Culpan G. (2004) Changes in Student Performance on a Musculoskeletal Reporting Course.UKRC Special Focus Group - Reporting Performance & Sources of Error. UKRC
- Bewell JL, Culpan G (2004) Radiographer Prescribing. Interactive workshop at GIRSIG 2004 Conference, Darlington.
- Culpan DG, Mitchell A, Rock C, Ackerley C (2003)Radiographer reporting accuracy of Double Contrast Barium Enema (DCBE) examinations. Poster presentation.UKRC
- Culpan DG, Bloor C. (2002) Complications of the Barium Enema. Interactive workshop at GIRSIG 2002 Conference, Bristol.
- Culpan DG, Mitchell AJ, Hughes S, Nutman M, Chapman AH(1999)“Double Contrast Barium Enema Sensitivity: a comparison of radiographer and radiologist performed studies”. IOS 1999.
- Chapman AH, Culpan DG, Mitchell AJ. (1999)Barium Enema: An Interactive Guide. Interactive CD-ROM. RSNA 1999. Cum Laude award winner. This CD-ROM was developed and published as a teaching guide for radiographers as part of the teaching material for the Leeds Barium Enema Course.
- Culpan G (2009) Bowel cleansing and the use of antispasmodic drugs. Leeds CT Colonography Course. University of Leeds, 24/02/2009.
- Culpan G (2008) Bowel cleansing and the use of antispasmodic drugs. Leeds CT Colonography Course. University of Leeds, 13/03/2008.
- Culpan G (2007) Optimising DCBE Technique. Colorectal Imaging Study Day. Thackray Medical Museum, Leeds, 08/10/2007.
- Culpan G (2007) Formulating your report. Colorectal Imaging Study Day. Thackray Medical Museum, Leeds, 08/10/2007
- Culpan G (2002) Back to Basics – the acute Abdominal Radiograph. Yorkshire & North Trent Branch of Society of Radiographers Regional Conference, Scarborough 2002
- Culpan G (1998) Audit of 10,000 radiographer reported A&E cases. Yorkshire & North Trent Branch of Society of Radiographers Regional Conference, Scarborough 1998
- Culpan G (1998) Hand and wrist trauma: plain film correlations. Yorkshire & North Trent Branch of Society of Radiographers Regional Conference, Scarborough 1998
- Culpan G (1998) The Future of Plain Film Reporting. Scientific meeting of the Royal College of Radiologists (1998)
- Culpan G (1997) Plain Film Reporting Experiences. Keynote lecture to Special Interest Group in Radiographic Reporting at University of Bradford (1997)