University of Bradford Student Charter
Our Student Charter summarises our aspirations and expectations for each other at the University of Bradford.
The Student Charter is not intended to be a legally binding contract of terms and conditions. Those details are contained in a number of documents including the University’s Charter, Ordinances, Regulations, policies and procedures.
It is important that all prospective and current students familiarise themselves with the current published documents that relate in any way to their being a student.
Our Student Charter
We are passionate about the student experience at the University of Bradford, and this commitment is reflected in our Charter which places the student at the heart of all we do.
Our Student Charter is intended to set out the minimum procedural expectations relating to the student experience for both staff and students.
Your active involvement with staff in your learning, in School-level activities, in institutional processes and with the Students’ Union are absolutely key to fostering a sense of collegiate community. You engage with us as partners and as such, both staff and students have expectations and obligations with regards to the processes in which they engage.
Those expectations and obligations are laid out in the Charter.
Our Charter is split into two sections:
- Section one is a summary of the support we will provide and the expectations we have
- Section two (appendix 1) provides more detailed information on the expectations identified in section one
Our Charter intends that the University experience for both staff and students will be an enjoyable one. By setting out standards for procedural issues, we seek to remove any ambiguity regarding expectations, and enable individuals to engage with their learning and development in an atmosphere of mutual respect and appreciation.
We hope you enjoy and make the most of your time with us.
Section One: Summary of Support and Expectations
1. You can expect the University to:
- Provide up-to-date and accurate information on all aspects of the student experience and provide you with appropriate and relevant information regarding University services and support available to you in a range of formats.
- Support you effectively through all stages of your engagement with the University from initial enquiry through to graduation and beyond.
- Work with you to identify your individual learning needs and expectations.
- Provide an intellectually stimulating and inspiring, safe and friendly learning environment.
- Treat you with fairness, dignity and respect.
- Give you clear information about when and how you will receive feedback on your individual progress.
- Ensure you are kept fully informed of any changes to your study and/or support.
- Actively seek your participation in governance and decision making.
2. You can expect the Students’ Union to:
- Provide you with a diverse range of social activities to suit all student needs which will promote a sense of enjoyment in all aspects of University life.
- Work proactively with the University to ensure student views are taken into account and provide appropriate training and support to elected representatives.
- Offer impartial advice and support to students through the Advice Centre.
- Support students in setting up and running Clubs and Societies.
- Obtain feedback from students about their experiences.
3. We expect you to:
- Actively and positively engage in your studies, hand in work on time and ask for help if you need it.
- Make effective use of all facilities that the University provides to support your learning.
- Take responsibility for your own learning and personal development, acting on opportunities available to you by the University and Students’ Union.
- Behave in a responsible manner, treating staff, fellow students and visitors with dignity and respect.
- Familiarise yourself with all regulations and seek advice and clarification from us regarding what we expect from you in a timely manner.
- Provide us with appropriate evidence about any changes to your personal circumstances as soon as possible.
- Actively participate in the student representative system.
Section 2: (appendix 1)
The Student Charter in full can be accessed here:
Resources for staff
The following presentation is available for staff to use with students regarding the Student Charter.