Skip to content
Open menu Close menu

Frequently Asked Questions - University Accommodation

When do I need to apply for accommodation?

The deadline date for guaranteed accommodation in The Green is Thursday 13 August 2015.

Students that apply after the deadline will be offered accommodation but it may not be in The Green.

Find out more

What will I need to bring with me?

Bring with you things to help turn your room into your home from home.

You'll need to come with your own bedding, towels, crockery, cutlery, pans, cooking utensils and cleaning materials.

If you can't bring bedding or cooking utensils with you - don't worry. You can buy packs from Just Shop in the Richmond Building Atrium and Student Central.

Shopping trips to IKEA are also arranged by the Students' Union during the year.

What about cleaning?

You're responsible for cleaning your own room, and as all our accommodation is self-catered you also need to share in the cleaning of communal areas - such as the kitchen, living area, bathrooms, corridors, stairs and entrance hall.

You'll also need to take out the rubbish.

Residents of our accommodation are expected to maintain a good standard of cleanliness throughout the townhouse or apartment. Inspections are carried out at regular intervals and in the case of significant un-cleanliness, residents may be charged for the cleaning of these areas.

What equipment is in the kitchen?

Kitchen in The Green.

All kitchens are supplied with cooker, microwave, toaster, kettle, fridge/freezer and storage cupboards.

Also provided are an iron, ironing board, vacuum cleaner, dustpan and brush, mop and bucket, general waste and recycling bins and fire safety equipment.

What if I have a disability?

The University welcomes applications from students with disabilities and has a number of adapted rooms available in The Green.

We have fully adapted rooms (mobility rooms), ambulatory rooms and adjoining rooms designed for carers. Dedicated parking provision is also provided at The Green.

We will endeavour to allocate the most suitable accommodation for your requirements.

If you are disabled, or have a medical condition or sensory impairment, please provide an additional information sheet detailing your requirements and send this with your accommodation application.

The details you provide will be discussed with the staff in the Disability Service to ensure we provide the correct facility for you.

If you choose not to disclose a disability or special requirements, we may not be able to offer alternative adapted accommodation at a later date.

Any adapted rooms not allocated to disabled students will be allocated in accordance with the normal University allocation procedure.

The University of Bradford is committed to the principles of inclusion, diversity and equal opportunities. Staff in the Disability Service offer advice, information and support.

More information

If you wish to discuss your requirements or visit our accommodation, please contact:

Can I get a meal on campus?

If you don't always feel like cooking for yourself, you can buy meals from the University's catering outlets, situated around the campus.

How near are the shops and supermarkets?

Student in Student Central shop.

Student shops are located in the Richmond Building Atrium and Student Central - selling everything from bread and milk to stationery and toiletries.

There are also a good range of shops, restaurants, pubs, supermarket and a chemist within 10 minutes' walk of the city campus.

Where can I do my washing?

For students living in The Green there is a coin-operated launderette facility (washers and dryers) located on the first floor of The Orchard Building in the village.

Can I smoke?

The University campus and all accommodation - both internal and external areas - are no smoking areas.

There is a designated smoking area on the Amphitheatre by Student Central and at designated points in The Green.

Where's the nearest health centre?

Student Health Centre is available on Laisteridge Lane, just five minutes' walk away from city campus.

Please register with the service as soon as possible after arrival. The Centre provides a confidential comprehensive healthcare service.

Are there any wardens to support student residents?

A team of resident wardens live in The Green. There will be two Senior Wardens and four Student Wardens. Their role is to help students settle into University life and provide advice and information.

There are also the Green Ambassadors - a group of students living at The Green who organise social events and competitions.

What's the difference between a townhouse and apartment?

There are two types of accommodation in The Green — apartments with six en-suite bedrooms or 12-bedroom townhouses.

See a breakdown of the differences between the two on our Types of accommodation page.

When should I arrive?

Everything you need to know is on our arrival information page.

How much does it cost, and when do I need to pay?

Prices for University accommodation can be found on our Accommodation costs page.

You need to make your first payment when you accept your accommodation offer and sign the tenancy agreement.

The remaining rent can be paid in full on arrival or in three instalments.